Israel-Gaza conflict: Mohamed Salah’s social media post “an example” for sport
- News Bloggh
- Nov 8, 2023
- 2 min read

Mohamed Salah’s response to the Israel-Gaza conflict should set the tone for sport moving forward, according to a former sports PR agent and academic.
The Liverpool and Egypt forward called for “world leaders to come together to prevent further slaughter of innocent souls” in the wake of a fatal blast at Gaza City hospital last month.
The 31-year-old is one of many athletes with a high-profile social media account to comment on the ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas, which is designated a terrorist organisation by the governments of both Britain and the United States.
The current conflict came after Hamas gunmen launched an unprecedented assault on Israel from the Gaza Strip on 7 October, killing more than 1,400 people, with the Israel Defence Forces carrying out retaliatory strikes on Gaza since, resulting in over 10,000 deaths, according to the health ministry in the Hamas-controlled enclave.
“Salah is an example of someone who was under severe pressure to take sides because of his nationality,” Ian Bayley, now a senior lecturer in sports journalism at Staffordshire University, told BBC Sport Africa.
“But he took a step back and said: ‘What I stand for is peace and an end for suffering’.”
Bayley points out that Salah’s statement “hasn’t been enough for some people” who feel the two-time African Footballer of the Year should use his vast influence to take “a more political stance”.
“When he eventually released a message, he was lauded by many for its humanitarian tone and yet criticised by others who thought his stance should been more pro-Arab and pro-Palestine,” Bayley explained.
“But he can’t do that because he will have a social media policy with his club.”
When Tunisian tennis star Ons Jabeur spoke on the issue earlier this month, her stance was less ambivalent.
Comments